The Probation and Welfare Service fosters public safety by challenging the behaviour of offenders and by advancing the use of community-based sanctions. (Referrals are only accepted from the courts or the Prison Service and the person being referred must have been convicted of a criminal offence).
The service provides the following:
- Preparation of reports on defendants for court prior to sentence.
- Supervision of offenders within the community.
- Provision of a welfare service to prisoners.
- Participation in various partnerships which have been established to address issues related to social exclusion. Assessment of offenders availability for Community Service.
- Selection and management of suitable Community Service Projects.
In all our areas of work the purpose and focus are on reducing the risk of offending.